This is a few days old, but it’s amusing nonetheless. Barack Obama appeared in a town hall for Spanish-language media on March 6th to discuss ObamaCare and promote enrollments, and got challenged by a viewer on the economics of it for low-income Americans who are now forced to buy comprehensive health insurance. On a $36,000 annual income, the requirement to buy the broad policy rather than something a little more economical — say, hospitalization coverage combined with an HSA, a strategy which is now all but illegal — makes it impossible to comply. Pshaw, Obama replied. Why, all those low-income folks need to do is stop spending money on luxuries like cable television and cell phones!
The House Oversight Committee report on Lois Lerner’s Involvment in the IRS Targeting of Tax-Exempt Organizations was released yesterday. For reporters working on deadline, the committee released a handy summary of the report’s highlights.
How is the New York Times covering the story? I can’t find a Times story on the report. I concede that I may be missing something, but I find nada. If there is something, it must be well hidden.
Turning to the search engine on the Times site and running a search on “Lois Lerner,” the most recent item listed is five days old. Unless I am missing something, the committee report is a non-story.
If you get your news from the Times, something’s not happening here. Mr. Times regrets he’s unable to cover the news today.
The DFL’s “bullying bill” is a special interest sop; it creates protected classes against whom bullying is double dog bad. It’s a type of bill that seems, elsewhere in the country, to have the effect of increasing bullying of the kids they’re intended to protect – not to mention increasing the official “bullying” and censorship of dissent. It might be better called the “Stasi Bill”.
Tea Party activists, among others, are alarmed by the prospects that Dakota County will seize some land from families along the Mississippi River. I'm sympathetic to their concerns. The county's action is not illegal or grossly bad (on the scale of a city taking private property and giving it to a multinational corporation). But it is an overreach, taking more than is absolutely necessary.
The conflict is also an example of what happens when a unit of government can impose costs on a very small group of people. I elaborate here.
My friend winters in Pinellas Cty, FL - the Congressional Race to watch (yesterday). Jolly, the Republican, even though outspent, won. My friend door-knocked a couple of precincts. She shared a few takeaways that worked:
1 – Obamacare, Obamacare, Obamacare (Jolly used this all through his campaign)
2 – Label Pelosi, Reid, etc – Liberal Democrat ___________ fill in the blank where appropriate
3 – Play polite and nice but play Hard Ball
Her observation: Jolly was always nice but he took Obamacare and other issues head on - He repeated the number of district residents who lost health insurance, said it over, over and over. Summary: Focus on Obamacare, preferably with a solution (tort reform - TX, buy ins. across state lines, etc.)
Barring Congressional Republicans making some unforced errors (always a distinct possibility), they should increase their majority in the House and close the 10-seat deficit (and possibly attain a majority) in the Senate this election cycle
Now that the results are confirmed in a special congressional election which took place Tuesday in Florida, the GOP is off to a good start.
Bill DeBlasio, one of the biggest card-carrying hardline progressives in the United States, insisted that he doesn’t hate minorities or charter schools when interviewed by Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough:
Just received word from Representative Pamy Myhra that this afternoon, at 4 PM at an Education Cmt Hearing, House File 2754 (HF 2754) will be heard: Note the name:
Emancipation of Minors
This bill will address a child's "right" to divorce their parents. One more attempt to destroy the nuclear family, the core of civil societies for over 5000 years. If you can spread the word, please do. We need YOU there if you can attend.
On today's Fightin Words podcast: Thoughts on Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton handing his veto pen over to law enforcement.
Got this via email:
Who benefits the most from a minimum wage increase?
Here are some back of an envelope calculations:
40 hrs a week X 52 weeks = 2080 hrs
FICA: employee tax = 6.2%, employer = 6.2%, total 12.4%
SECA: employee = 1.45%, employer 1.45% total 2.9%
total FICA/SECA combined = 15.3%
current govt take
2080 x $7.25 = $15,080.00 x 0.153 = $2,307.24
proposed govt take
2080 x $10.10 =$21,008.00 x 0.153 = $3,214.224
Net gain for govt = $906.984
On today's Fightin Words podcast: Outstanding messages from Senators Ted Cruz and Rand Paul delivered at CPAC over the weekend demonstrate the steady advancement of liberty from movement to campaign to legislative agenda.